Saturday, March 20, 2010

On the Arrangement of Pixels: Styles of the Sea

Having spent considerable time researching the subject, I find myself saddened at the lack of resources on my favorite niche of World of Warcraft – Costuming.

Everyone loves gear of course. You’d be hard pressed to find a player who hasn’t drooled over the ilvl of the leet purps coming from the latest content. Do you have a wishlist? Are you planning the perfect stat balance for your ideal gear set? I certainly am.

WindowShoppingComp
But really, when it comes down to it, we all want the same thing. To look awesome.

Gear is more than the dataset its attached to. The arrangement of pixels is what makes the difference between “Optimal/BiS” and truly “Epic”.  So let’s get superficial here, throw away all the stats, and see what we can take down the catwalk, or in this case, the plank.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and sometimes the easiest ideas to work from are someone else’s. Blizzard has paid professionals coming up with this stuff, let’s borrow from their creativity.

My first costumes were all based on NPCs and mobs found in game. I thought I would share a few of my favorites here but after realizing just how many outfits I’ve accumulated thus far, I’ve decided to break them up into groups. For the moment, I present to you:

The Maritime Modiste

I’m not sure about the horde, but alliance side, the first instance we encounter is The Deadmines. And who doesn’t love pirates? Ninja aficionados perhaps, but even then it’s a love-hate relationship. My very first costume was the pirate costume.

BudgetPirateFirst Mate’s Hat
Crimson Silk Vest
Crimson Silk Pantaloons
White Swashbuckler’s Shirt
Swashbuckler’s Sash
Buccaneer’s Boots




 

 

If you work hard enough and prove your mettle with a band of seafaring brigands, they may even be so kind as to provide you an official uniform.

BloodsailAdmiralBloodsail Admiral’s Hat
Bloodsail Shirt
Bloodsail Sash
Bloodsail Pants
Bloodsail Boots





 

 

Finally, for those of higher moral fibre that truly detest the romanticization of murder and larceny as a way of life, we can follow a creative tangent on this nautical theme and assemble a very respectable naval officer’s uniform.

NavalUniform Admiral’s Hat
Regal Armor
Royal Trousers
Gossamer Belt
Recruit’s Boots





 

 

These are, of course, simply starting points. Swashbuckler shirts and matching vests come in any number of colors, including the seldom seen purple variety. Breeches come in a rainbow of colors, with and without buttons at the side. And those lucky classes with more varied armor proficiencies can embellish their salty sea dog personas with one of the available eye patches.

It’s all a matter of taste and imagination. The next time you’re idling at the auction house browsing for good deals, leave the item preview box checked. Sometimes you’ll be surprised at what you find.

3 comments:

  1. I found an amazing pair of pants for my little paladin on the AH by browsing the preview box. I've since outgrown the stats, but the pants rock and I don't want to change. Therefore I just stopped leveling.

    Back when my warlock was in Fordragon Imports, I spent quite a bit of time designing costumes. My favorite one was the biker outfits that I made for every member of our motorcycle gang. Remind me to show it to you sometime and take you for a ride around Stormwind Harbor.

    Also, I think you'll like this website: http://wowrpc.waddellconsulting.com/

    I recommend checking out the links at the top of her blog and the user submitted costumes on the forums. There are some great outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely an awesome site. This requires further investigation later on!

    I have a bunch more outfits to outline. I started with just the pirates and realized how long it had gotten... Splitting it up, I'm wondering if I should save it and do it weekly or just post as I finish. But really you're the only one reading so I suppose it doesn't matter much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hip hip, hurrah! I particularly like your Naval Officer's outfit -- a nice change from the run of the mill pirate. Added you to my blogroll and looking forward to seeing what else you have in store.

    ReplyDelete